LIVESTOCK SKILLATHON INFORMATION
Junior Fair exhibitors are required to attend and participate in at least one skillathon to meet their completion requirements. Failure to attend at least one skillathon (including Flipgrid) will result in being ineligible for exhibition at the Marion County Fair. In order to exhibit at the Ohio State Fair, all county requirements must be met. So, please plan accordingly to ensure you meet this requirement.
PLEASE REFER TO THE COMPLETE DOCUMENT FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION REGARDING:
- Skillathon schedule
- In-person skillathon pre-registration
- If you plan to attend in-person skillathon AND DO NOT want to be eligible for Outstanding Market Exhibitor.
- If you plan to attend in-person skillathon AND WANT to be eligible for Outstanding Market Exhibitor.
- If you are unable to attend or do not feel comfortable attending at least one in-person skillathon, you will need to participate in the FLIPGRID option for completion.
LIVESTOCK PROJECT INFORMATION AND FAIR ENTRIES
- Equine Project Information
- Fair Entry
- Permission to Participate
- Horse ID Form
- Lease Guidelines
- Intent to compete at the Ohio State Fair - Complete by May 15, 2021
- Goat Project Information
- Lease Form
- Fair Entry: Specialty Goat
- Fair Entry: Commercial Boer/% Boer Goat
- Fair Entry: Market Goat
- Fair Entry: Dairy Goat
Quality Assurance (QA) Certification is required for all youth exhibiting or selling a hog, beef (market steer, beef breeding, beef feeder calf or dairy feeder calf), lamb (market or breeding), goat (market, dairy, utility, or pygmy), poultry (broiler, fancy, pullets, turkey, or water fowl), rabbit (breeding or market), or dairy (cow or heifer) at the Marion County Junior Fair.
All Marion County Youth must have the QA Certification by May 17. Please pay close attention to the dates and plan accordingly.
Certification can be obtained in three ways:
1) You can participate in an approved QA program provided by an agriscience teacher in school.
2) Youth can participate in an approved QA program provided by OSU Extension at the county or state level.
QA Program Dates
- February 24 River Valley High School Room 111 at 6:00
- March 31 Test-Out Option Extension Office 6:00PM
- April 5 Elgin Building enter Comet Door 6:30-7-30
- May 10 Evers Arena 6:30-7:30
• Youth may attend any QA regardless of the animal they are exhibiting.
• Parent attendance is not required, but encouraged for QA Programs.
• Youth should plan to arrive early, as youth will not receive credit for attending if they arrive more than 10 minutes after the program starts. Youth must complete and submit the attendance card at the end to receive credit.
3) Youth can participate in the test out option.
All youth 12-14 years of age (4-H age) may take a LQA test designed for their age group. If they pass the test with a score of 70% or greater, the youth will be certified in LQA until they turn 15 years old.
All youth 15-18 years of age (4-H age) may take a QA test designed for their age group. If they pass the test with a score of 70% or greater, the youth will be certified in LQA for the remainder of their Junior Fair years.
Youth are only permitted to take one test per calendar year. If a youth does not pass the QA test, they will be required to attend a QA program to gain certification.
Youth should review the Quality Assurance section of their resource handbook in preparation for the test.
QA Testing Dates
Participants must call to pre-register.